Welcome from City Mayor
On behalf of the Lubbock City Council and the citizens of Lubbock, I am pleased to welcome you to the friendliest city in the United States.
Our West Texas hospitality is just one reason people come to visit and live in Lubbock. Our gorgeous sunsets, stable economy, excellent educational opportunities, and world-class medical facilities are just a few of the others.
It’s easy to see why we take pride in Lubbock. We’re the Music Crossroads of Texas and home to the Buddy Holly Center, some of the state’s best wineries, Texas Tech University, and other cultural, recreational, educational, and entertainment venues.
Whether you’re here for a day or a lifetime, I invite you to see and take part in all that Lubbock has to offer! Goals for the Next 2 Years
- No net fee increases in next year's budget. For any fee that requires an increase, I want to see an offsetting reduction in another fee.
- Have open and honest discussions about what should be a tax, and what should be a fee, and set policy guidelines for these and other budgetary priorities for staff.
- Take a hard look at every city department’s budget to find areas that we can cut without a loss of needed services. After talking to hundreds of taxpayers, I can tell you that they do not believe that the city is operating as efficiently as it can. If they are right, we need to fix it. If we find the city is operating as lean as possible, then our job is to prove it.
- Work with our state and national leaders to fight new regulatory mandates and protect our natural resources. Businesses are drowning in regulation and I believe it is our job to constantly be diligent in our attempt to be heard at the state and federal levels.
- Create a plan that reduces all of our current routine maintenance debt to zero in five years.
- Make our city decision-making process more transparent. Everyone pays lip service to transparency, but with the council’s help, I want to make it a reality. I would like to see all city council meetings move to nighttime meetings so that more citizens may participate. I would like to see more boards hold their meetings on the city's television network. I would like to see our city's website upgraded and made more user-friendly, allowing for citizen’s input through the site. And I want to have more in-depth debate on the issues held in public rather than private meetings.